Until now I have been showing the growth pattern of the 3D series on my Studio Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/edjaffegallery
For those of you new my work I’ll try to do some catch up . My paintings have always had a geometric look. As a sculptor I have also used a great deal of texture on the surface . My goal has been to create as much 3 dimension as possible on a 2 dimensional plane. For quite some time I have been thinking about converting some of the paintings into wall sculpture to see how they would look in actual 3D. The first idea was to make them out of clay and fire them but I gave up on that because of the weight factors involved.
Over time I couldn’t get rid of the idea . It morphed into trying to construct a piece out of a lighter material and then using that surface as the base for a painting.
The new process began with something I mentioned previously in this blog. I photographed one of my paintings and then cut it up in an arbitrary manner. For days I played around with the puzzle pieces until I got something that might work as a wall sculpture . Then it was photographed to use as my working sketch.
I had some thin but strong pieces of cardboard laying around the studio and I used that material to figure out how to construct a piece from the sketch.
This 8”x10” maquette was the result. Then I painted it to see what might work in the final piece.
Blowing the maquette up to 30”x40 “ was not only a question of scale. When you enlarge any piece of sculpture changes have to be made to keep everything in proportion.There was more math and geometry involved in this than I have used since college . I could only concentrate on it for two hours at a time before I’d lose direction and have to walk away until another day.
Once the construction was completed, finishing the sculpture was the same as working in any other material. Filing, sanding etc, Then I could seal it, add the texture and the begin to think about color. My theory here was the same as on paintings. Put the texture on first and let the paint pick that up later. It was an interesting process as I now had multiple surfaces that had to be painted . This is where the original maquette came into play again. It was a perfect guide for the final piece.
Start to finish this project took 6 weeks. But the series had begun.