I got side tracked from working on the Sheffield #6 piece while the base color was drying.
While cleaning up all of the small pieces cut from the shapes used in that sculpture I began to wonder what would happen if I started to hot glue some of them together.
There were all kinds of triangles, straight and tapered pieces, as well as many curves that came from correcting the cuts made during construction. I didn’t want to go too big so I cut a base 18”x24” and began to glue up a few of these scrap pieces. After a while I walked away from it until another day. Since I didn’t know where it was going I wanted to study it before I added more elements or junk it if it wasn’t going anywhere. A little happened each time I went into the studio and all of a sudden a pattern emerged. After that it became easy since I knew where I was going but it also became time consuming.
The piece that emerged was a “ ringer “ as it had no connection to anything that I had done before.
As usual the sculpture was fun. The painting, on the other hand, was trial and error.
This piece took over while #6 and a new painting waited in the wings.
Here is a short video to show you the making of “The Compound”.
Play is over and now I can go back to work. 🙂